Schedule and Location
Saturday, November 12, 2016, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Thornhill Education Center
Fees and Registration
Nonmembers: Fees include admission to the Arboretum.
Learn how to lacto-ferment vegetables in a salt brine, creating an environment in which probiotics can flourish. Instructor Emily Paster will explain the how and why of lacto-fermentation, including the necessary salt-to-water brine ratio, the proper fermenting environment, and knowing when your fermented veggies are ready. Bring a mason jar and prepare your own jar of brined vegetables to bring home and allow to ferment.
Instructor: Emily Paster
Notes: Held indoors. Limit 45
Supplies: A fermentation weight is included in the price of the program. Please bring:
- a quart-sized wide-mouth Mason jar
- vegetable peeler
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- kitchen towel
- apron or clothes you don't mind getting messy
- close-toed shoes
Course number: H093
Please check out the rest of the Fermented Foods Series.
- Dairy-Free Yogurt: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Kimchi: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Kombucha: Saturday, November 5, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
ONLINE: REGISTER NOW
CALL: 630-719-2468 (or to be wait listed)
IN PERSON: Stop by the Visitor Center during open hours.