Schedule and Location
Thornhill Education Center
- Section A: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (CANCELED)
- Section B: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (REGISTER NOW)
Fees and Registration
Explore the wonders of the spring woodland in this team-taught class. Horticulturist Heather Prince will discuss the natural history of our ephemeral woodland wildflowers and give you a new understanding of these deceptively delicate beauties. Botanical artist Suzanne Wegener will walk you through capturing the subtle loveliness of these plants during an interactive outdoor (“en plein air”) drawing session.
Suzanne Wegener is a freelance artist specializing in natural history illustration and education in pencil, pen & ink, watercolor and gouache. She has a degree in Scientific Illustration and teaches regularly in the Chicagoland area.
Heather Prince is the nursery manager at Wannemaker’s Home and Garden in Downers Grove. She has been a part of the green industry for more than 18 years, including experience at The Morton Arboretum, Chicago Botanic Garden, The Growing Place and The Pizzo Group. She is a trained horticulturist specializing in trees and shrubs with a passion for connecting people with plants.
- Notes: Weather permitting, this class will be held mostly outdoors. Limit 16
- Supplies: Bring a sketchpad. Graphite supplies will be available to borrow from the Arboretum, courtesy of the Nature Artists’ Guild, if you do not have your own. If you prefer to work in color please bring the medium you are most comfortable with (no oil paints please).
- Prerequisite: Appropriate for all levels of artist.