Schedule and Locaiton
The rental season runs December 1, 2017 through March 11, 2018.
You can rent equipment at the Visitor Center during the following hours:
Weekdays: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Last rental is at 3:00 p.m.
Weekends: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Last rental is at 3:00 p.m.
On most days, snowshoe & ski rentals will be available, when four inches or more of snow have accumulated on the Arboretum grounds. On such days, designated trails are groomed with classic-style skiing in mind. Call before your visit to confirm rental availability.
Bike rentals are handled for us by an outside contractor who is not able to accept Arboretum gift cards or cash as payment - credit card payments only.
When four inches or more of snow have accumulated on The Morton Arboretum grounds, head to the Visitor Center to rent a pair of snowshoes or cross-country skis, and set off on a scenic adventure through the snow-capped trees.
There are wonderful skiing destinations across the Arboretum grounds:
- Cross-country ski trail map
- Discover new territory on the Arboretum's East Side. Explore 3.5 miles of designated cross-country ski trails. This trail loops from the Conifer Collection out to Parking Lot 8 and back to the Elm Family Collection.
- Blaze your own path across our 1,700 acres or trek along the Arboretum's 16 miles of hiking trails.
Popular Cross-Country Skiing & Snowshoeing Spots:
- The Conifer Collection (good for kids and families)
- Thornhill Education Center Lawn
- Main Trail Loop 4 on the East Side
- Spruce Plot near Parking Lot 12
- Daffodil Glade at Parking Lot 22
- Designated cross-country ski trails on the East Side
- Designated cross-country ski trails on the West Side (not groomed)
Please only wear snowshoes and cross-country skis on snow-covered trails and areas. No skis or snowshoes allowed on the roads. Benches are available in various locations. Restrooms and warming stations are located at the Visitor Center, Thornhill Education Center, and Thornhill Shelter (P-21).
For more information, visit the Information Desk at the Visitor Center or call ahead to see if conditions are good for rentals 630-968-0074.
Fees and Admission
- $11 member ($13 nonmember) per pair for two-hour rental
- $15 member ($17 nonmember) per pair for all-day rental
Children (10 years and younger)
- $9 member ($11 nonmember) per pair for two-hour rental
- $13 member ($15 nonmember) per pair for all-day rental
CROSS-COUNTRY SKI RENTALS
(Includes skis, boots & poles)
- $16 member ($18 for nonmember) per pair for two-hour rental
- $21 member ($23 nonmember) per pair for all-day rental
Rental fee must be paid by credit card and does not include Arboretum admission fee. Credit cards are the only accepted payment type for rental fees - no cash or Arboretum gift cards. Quantities are limited and available on a first-come first-served basis.