Episode 2: Early Steps: first experiences in science
Guest: Frank Balestri, Plant Health Care Technician and Research Assistant at the Morton Arboretum (at time of recording). Horticulture Instructor at College of Dupage (current)
Join us on this episode of Planted to learn how early experiences in the natural world can ignite passion for working with plants later in life. Inspired by his experiences with collecting and raising butterflies as a youth, Frank Balesteri shares how some of his early experiences, inspired him to consider a path into horticulture.
- Frank Balestri’s Profile and Favorite Plant Profile: Sweet Bay Magnolia
- Classroom Activity: S1 E2- Classroom Activity-Butterflies-.docx
- Butterfly Safari Video - Jessica, Meghan, & Frank go hunting to identify caterpillar eggs.
- Butterfly Egg and Larvae Photos (also young frank is featured in these photos)
- Butterfly and Moth terminology decoded in this article from Chicago Botanical Garden.
- Watch a time lapse video of monarch metamorphosis.
SHARE: Please tell us what you think. After you have listen to one (or several) episodes, we welcome your feedback. All feedback submitted by December 31st 2018, will be eligible for a raffle to receive a free pair of Bose SoundSport headphones.