April 9, 2019
Nature Connects®: Art with LEGO® bricks by Sean Kenney returns to The Morton Arboretum from Friday, May 24 through Sunday, September 15, 2019.
Here are some amazing facts about these LEGO brick sculptures.
- Artist Sean Kenney used 501,158 LEGO bricks to create all 15 nature-themed displays
- Kenney and his team spent more than 4,570 hours (190 days!) building the pieces in the exhibit.
- The sculpture of the peacock required the most LEGO bricks at 68,827; Kenney and his artists spent the most time on this sculpture—a whopping 625 hours!
- Tallest sculpture: Monarch butterfly on a milkweed plant, standing nearly 7 feet tall
- Smallest sculpture: Pileated woodpecker measures less than 2 feet tall
- A herd of deer are practically life-sized, measuring up to 80% of their real-life counterparts.