The Community Trees Program has put together a list of funding sources available throughout the year. It is important to visit the website of each of these funding agencies to determine what funding is available and when the applications are required.
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency Section 319 Grants are available to local units of government and other organizations to protect water quality in Illinois. Projects must address water quality issues relating directly to non-point source pollution. Funds can be used for the implementation of watershed management plans including the development of information/education programs and for the installation of best management practices. The application deadline is typically August 1.
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency Illinois Green Infrastructure Grant Program for Stormwater Management.Funding opportunities through this grant typically are announced in early fall. This program provides funding for stormwater retention and infiltration and for small projects.
- Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning Technical Assistance Grants are offered to communities, nonprofits and intergovernmental organizations to address local issues related to transportation, land use, housing, the natural environment, economic growth and community development. The application deadline is typically August 1.
- The Illinois Department of Natural Resources has a number of grant programs.
- The Illinois Department of Transportation provides funding for roadway enhancement. The Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program provides funding for cultural, historic, aesthetic and environmental aspects related to transportation. The request for proposals for this funding, when available, is typically in the fall of the year.
- Illinois Forestry Development Council provides a small grants program as funding allows for projects that address forestry-related issues in Illinois defined by the Council's mission and function. Applications are typically due between July 1 and August 1.
- Tree Research and Education Endowment Fund (TREE Fund) promotes research-based tree care for current and future generations. They offer research and education grants in several areas with individual application dates.