The Administration & Research Center houses research laboratories for tree science, the herbarium, the Sterling Morton Library, staff offices, and meeting rooms. The original portion of the complex was built for administration purposes in 1935, following the death of Arboretum founder Joy Morton in 1934. An auditorium for educational use was dedicated to Mr. Morton's daughter Jean Cudahy upon her death in 1956 (the space was repurposed for contemporary meetings, programs, and events in 2016). Also in 1956, research began to take place in the building. The Sterling Morton Library, named in honor of Joy Morton's son and Jean's brother, opened in 1963. In 1982, an addition specifically for research was constructed. A new entrance to the Administration & Research Center opened in 2000, along with a library addition holding the Suzette Morton Davidson Special Collections (named for the granddaughter of Joy Morton and daughter of Sterling). Jean Morton Cudahy, Sterling Morton, and Suzette Morton Davidson all served in succession as Chairman of the Board of The Morton Arboretum during the years 1934-1977.