Visiting the Library
The Library is located in the Administration and Research Building of The Morton Arboretum, southwest of the Visitor Center. Library patron parking is available in the parking lot adjacent to the Administration and Research Building.
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday
Library will be closed on Tuesday, December 21 and possibly Wednesday, Dec 22 for maintenance.
Library holiday closures: December 24-26, December 31-January 2.
Using the Library
The Sterling Morton Library is open to all. Nonmembers must pay Gatehouse fees for the Arboretum in order to gain access. LEARN MORE
Arboretum members, staff, and volunteers can borrow books from the circulating and eBook collections. Nonmembers are invited to use resources in the library's reading room or request items from their local library via interlibrary loan.
- Books may be borrowed for 4 weeks.
- Up to six books may be checked out during a loan period.
- Books may be renewed for an additional four weeks.
- Special collections, periodicals, and reference books do not circulate.
- Online: Log into your account on SWAN, the Library's online catalog.
- By phone: Call 630-719-2429.
- In person: Bring your books to the circulation desk at the Library.
- Books should be returned to the circulation desk at the Library.
- If the Library is closed, books may be left at the Gatehouse, Administration Building, or Visitor Center Information Desk.
- Overdue fines: 10¢ a day.
- Photocopies: 20¢ each. Please allow 48 hours for high volume photocopying. Staff may not allow photocopying of fragile material.
Through a recently formed consortium of botanical and horticultural libraries, the Sterling Morton Library now offers thousands of eBooks for digital borrowing.
- Hint: Your patron number will begin with: 28070 … and no spaces are necessary.
Not sure or need a reminder of your patron number?
- Contact a Library staff member in-person, by phone (630-719-2429) or via email.
ACORN provides online access to the special collections of the Sterling Morton Library. New resources are added to the system on a regular basis as a part of our ongoing cataloging and digitization efforts.
Reference Collection, Journal Collection, and Current Nursery Catalogs
- Resources from the Reference, Journal, or Nursery Catalog Collections may be consulted in the library only. Photocopying is available.
- Works from the Special Collections may be viewed on site by appointment only. Please submit your request for an appointment here.
Tours and Educational Presentations
- Tours and presentations about the Sterling Morton Library's collections are available by appointment only. Please submit your request for an appointment here.
Image Use Requests
- See an image you'd like to use? Please submit your request here.