Schedule and Location
Second Thursday of every month
Sterling Morton Library
Members enjoy a morning of community, connectivity, and spirited discussion. Leafing Through the Pages meets on the second Thursday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon in the Library, this group explores works of fiction and non-fiction relating to natural history, ecology and gardens. Participants are encouraged to read each month's selection prior to the gathering to fully share in the discussion.
2019 Reading and Viewing List
- January 10, 2019 - Agrawal, Anurag. Monarchs and Milkweed : a migrating butterfly, a poisonous plant, and their remarkable story of coevolution, 2017.
- February 14, 2019 - Jones, Lucy. The Big Ones : how natural disasters have shaped us (and what we can do about them), 2018.
- March 14, 2019 - Shifting Sands : on the path to sustainability, 2016. (Viewing of this film begins at 10:00 a.m. with discussion to follow.)
- April 11, 2019 - Mapes, Lynda V. Witness Tree : seasons of change with a century-old oak, 2017.
- May 9, 2019 - Stone, Daniel. The Food Explorer : the true adventures of the globe-trotting botanist who transformed what America eats, 2018.
- June 13, 2019 - Johnson, Kirk W. The Feather Thief : beauty, obsession, and the natural history heist of the century, 2018.
- July 11, 2019 - Connors, Philip. Fire Season : field notes from a wilderness lookout, 2012.
- August 8, 2019 - Heinrich, Bernd. Life Everlasting : the animal way of death, 2012.
- September 12, 2019 - Spinney, Laura. Pale Rider: the Spanish Flu of 1918 and how it changed the world, 2017.
- October 10, 2019 - Preston, Douglas. The Lost City of the Monkey God : a true story, 2017.
- November 14, 2019 - McDowell, Marta. The World of Laura Ingalls Wilder : the frontier landscapes that inspired the Little House books, 2017.
- December 12, 2019 - Matthiessen, Peter. The Snow Leopard, 1978.
Arboretum members only